Word of Life began when a group of people who attended Four Square Gospel meetings and who were filled with the Holy Spirit began meeting together for prayer. From those meetings sprang
Steubenville Assembly of God, which was formed in June 1942.
For the first couple of months, the church met in peoples' homes. It then moved to the Knights of Columbus Hall on Washington Street, where it remained for several years.
Between 1945 and 1974, the church, now known as First Assembly of God of Steubenville, met in various locations, including on South Fifth Street, in the Phillip Murray Memorial Hall, and in the basement of a new structure on Central Court, until the congregation finally grew to fill the entire structure.
As time progressed, the body continued to grow and new facilities were needed. The facilities at 1913 Estelle Ave. were purchased in 1974. It was at this time that the name was changed from First Assembly of God of Steubenville to Word of Life Assembly of God. The "Fellowship" in the name was added in the early 1980s.
Again the church outgrew its facilities. The property, both the church and the parsonage, were sold to New Hope Evangelical Presbyterian Church, but Word of Life continued to share the building for Wednesday evening services. Sunday morning and evening services were held at Jefferson Technical College, now known as Eastern Gateway Community College.
During the time, construction on the current facilities at 565 Lovers Lane was begun. In June 1988 the current Word of Life facilities, with Rev. Jack Stepp serving as pastor,were dedicated.
In the summer of 2008, members of the Word of Life family picked up hammers and paint brushes to update the facilities, resulting in renovations of the sanctuary, fellowship hall, children's hall, toddler room, youth room, and parking lot. Further updating in the foyer, nursery, toddler room, and parking lot were accomplished in 2011.